Saturday, June 17, 2017

Poetry Today: Trends and Traditions
June 2017 Father’s Day Thoughts




Billie Sue Mosiman


The Real Father

He didn't make me.
Yet he made sure I could see
Truth, honor, empathy.
I was two and his little girl.
I was the child in his world.
He didn't have to stay.
He could have run so far away.
Yet through thick and thin
He told me by example how to win.
I didn't appreciate him enough
But as he lay dying with a hiss and a huff,
I leaned over my daddy and said,
"You were mine and I was yours by choice, Dad."
Now I told him to let go. 
I said there was so much more.
He sighed and groaned. I was his girl all grown.
He had made me after all and I'd be ready when he called.
He lives in me, my daddy.
I keep his memory ready.
He was there when I needed him while many were not.
I love him for that, I swear to God.
Sleep on softly and be sure 
I don't forget how in a world of chaos, 
You were my cure.






Rick Mohl



A Father's Love

Are you ready to go?
“I believe so,” you said.
I want you to know,
It's a new life ahead.

You grew up so fast!
“Not true,” you smiled.
Seems just days past,
I held you as a child.

Will you be alright?
“Just fine,” you replied.
You're such a delight,
You fill me with with pride.

Will you call everyday?
“Yes I will,” you confide.
Anytime will be okay,
Whenever you decide.

Will you always miss me?
“Do you doubt?” You asked.
It's plain for all to see,
My love for you will last.

“Will this break your heart?”
Only for a little while, I said.
No matter the distance apart,
I will keep your love instead.

Ricky L. Mohl Sr.
March 30, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment