Wednesday, February 15, 2017


Women in Horror 
February 2017 
Profile: Jo-Anne Russell




Biography: 

Jo-Anne Russell is a dark fiction writer and a publisher at Lycan Valley Press. She is a member of the Horror Writer's Association, the Writers Guild of Alberta and the Edmonton Arts Counsel. Her work can be found in a multitude of anthologies, and as standalone stories. Her debut novel The Nightmare Project was republished last year with Book 2 to follow. She is a wife, mother of eight children, has numerous pets, and is legally blind.

You can find out more on her website at www.jo-annerussell.com.

She would love for you to check out her novel THE NIGHTMARE PROJECT.




THE NIGHTMARE PROJECT [Summary]

Julia Montgomery, a mother of two finds herself in a tug of war between the living and the dead when the asylum where she resides places her in an experimental therapy pilot program called The Nightmare Project.

********

My name is Jo-Anne Russell and I am a dark fiction writer, and the publisher at Lycan Valley Press. I started my career off as a non-fiction freelance writer but soon found my imagination wanted to turn each article into something more sinister. I would allow myself to imagine the ‘What if?’ formula based off the articles, and brainstorms would make their way into my idea book for later use. I had a few good gigs, but I didn’t love what I was doing in freelance.

I decided to revamp and turn my attention to fiction. I took online courses and read everything on fiction and horror writing I could get my hands on. I joined writing forums, began to network, and most importantly – started writing. I now have 39 published stories some multiple times in different anthologies, 10 published poems, one novel with others in progress, and five unpublished children’s picture books.

My love for the genre started when I was very young, watching horror movies and reading were my two favorite pastimes. As time went on and I started getting published I developed a hunger to learn beyond the writing itself and moved into publishing.

Over the years I have met many writers and publishers that I have found to be some of the nicest people I have ever known. The love of the genre has brought this community to a tight knit group who despite being competition to an extent spend a lot of time helping each other. They share book releases, writing advice, and calls for submissions. There is no shortage of friendship and support from people in this genre.

I have worked closely with not only writers, and editors, but publishers as well and I have never really had an issue that couldn’t be solved with a little conversation. Although I have never co-written with another author I hope to have the opportunity to do so in the future. I feel it would be a good experience to share a work with someone who sees the story from a different point of view. (Anyone interested can hit me up on Facebook.)

If you are interested in my works you can find them on Amazon here.

Comments and reviews of any kind are always welcome, good or bad. (How else can one learn to do better?)

My publishing house, Lycan Valley Press, is still young, but growing quickly. You can find us here

On Facebook here. (We are always looking for new members.)

On Twitter here:

And of course, on Amazon.

Lycan Valley Press prides itself on bringing our readers the best horror from new and seasoned writers from all backgrounds and cultures.

Our titles include: (Click the title for more info.)

SIMPLE THINGS ~ Collected by Franklin E. Wales


Simple Things is a consignment shop unlike any other. Inside you’ll find home furnishings, house wares, fashion accessories, toys, books and a number of one of a kind items. But be forewarned; all of our things have a dark and sinister side. Some cut, some bite, some steal your chance for a restful night.


FINAL MASQUERADE ~ Collected by Stacey Turner

The evening is ending and the guests are ready to leave but the final event of the night is just beginning ~ the unmasking. Welcome to Final Masquerade where no one is who they seem.


MORBID METAMORPHOSIS ~ Collected by Robert Nelson


This book contains 22 stories from authors around the world. Together they bring you morbidly terrifying tales of metamorphosis, transformation, and deep horror that will follow you for days long after you've read the last page. Beware reading this book at night, and alone - for the mind is a powerful thing, and you may find you have company in the shadows!


GREY MATTER MONSTERS ~ Collected by Rachelle Foss


Grey Matter Monsters is an anthology of horror with proceeds to benefit Kids Help Phone. This anthology shows you the real monsters of mental illness, and hopes to erase some of the stigma that plagues those whom suffer from it.

And many more to come!

Thank you for reading my profile and I look forward to seeing you in the Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment