Monday, December 3, 2012



The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
Written and directed by Stephen Chbosky
From his novel of the same name.



Compiled by Anthony Servante

Sometimes an inexperienced filmmaker can use a helping hand from his cast. That's exactly what Stephen Chbosky got from Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller and Emma Watson in the adaptation of his popular young adult novel "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (Betsy Sharkey from the LA Times)

The film is a psycho-drama in the guise of a coming-of-age comedy. Many times, for me, a movie can be better than it really is when the soundtrack is so good. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the case with Wallflower because the safe storyline about teen trauma reaches a very unexpected peak in the conclusion to the film, rendering all that we had seen moot and far from a comedy of manners and morees.

The music plays an important role in the atmosphere of the story and acts as the trail of crumbs leading us to that shocking revelation. So, I won’t bore you with a gushing review. There’s plenty of them out there on the net. On Rotton Tomatoes, the movie ranks an 86% with critics and 94% with audiences: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_perks_of_being_a_wallflower/
What I want to share with you is the soundtrack and quotations from the novel (most of which show up in the movie).

  1. “We accept the love we think we deserve.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

“Could It Be Another Change,” by The Samples
  

  1. “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

“Come On Eileen,” by Dexys Midnight Runners


  1. “I would die for you. But I won't live for you.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Tugboat,” by Galaxie 500
 


  1. “This moment will just be another story someday.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Temptation,” by New Order
 


  1. “Please believe that things are good with me, and even when they're not, they will be soon enough. And i will always believe the same about you.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Evensong,” by The Innocence Mission


  1. “And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. and that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing 'unity.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Asleep,” by The Smiths

  1. “It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Low,” by Cracker


  1. Maybe it's good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Because it's okay to feel things. I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite. I feel infinite.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Teen Age Riot,” by Sonic Youth 


  1. “Sometimes people use thought to not participate in life.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Dear God,” by XTC


  1. “Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Pearly-Dewdrops’ Drops,” by Cocteau Twins

  1. “... Try to be a filter, not a sponge.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Charlie’s Last Letter,” by Michael Brook

  1. “And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”
    Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
“Heroes,” by David Bowie


Hope you enjoyed the songs from the movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Now go see the film in a theater with a great sound system. A very entertaining movie with a fantastic soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment